6/19/10

Is there a certain random smell that makes you feel euphoric?

Minds out the gutter please! LOL

Today I went into Michael's Arts and Crafts Store and as the automatic doors opened, I suddenly got a whiff of euphoria. I can't explain why I feel so happy when I smell that mix of dried flowers, adhesives, plywood, candles, and pipe cleaners... I can't pinpoint exactly what I smell but it's very specific and takes me all the way back to my childhood. I've always been crafty and LOVED art. I also get all cuddly for the smell of Gum Erasers (you artists will know what I'm talking about). LOVE that smell too. Reminds me of High School Art Club. All the art supplies smell of POSSIBILITY, to create something beautiful and/or useful.

Yes, I would buy a Yankee Candle called "Craft Store".

Anybody else have this same reaction to the craft store or any random smell that just makes you feel HAPPY! Comment below to share...

:) Sarah Jane

3 comments:

  1. Come to think of it, I'm most lit by sound. Sounds like church bells, or songs are more of my mood and memory motivator than a smell. Like the other night while looking up an old sitcom song on YouTube to discuss with a friend, which one of us had the lyrics right, I came across another song - the theme song from the early 80's show Alice. In the first few bars I WAS hit... transported back to when I was a little girl, in my room, late at night, unable to sleep and watching my little TV. I felt those feelings and it took me deep. I can't really put words to it exactly. However, back to smells SJ. I love that you love craft store smell. I do love the smell of my son's cheesy stink feet. I love them so much that I practically stick them up my nose, inhaling as deeply as I can. Crazy. There's just something about him being home with me at the end of a long day, safe and sound with me, taking off his shoes - and his cute little five year old toes that he refuses to put socks on, just reek this sweet stinky smell. It's better than anything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheezy Stink Feet. Perfect term and YES I know and love that smell of my own kids feet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!!
    I do a happy dance in the entrance just before walking into the store. If Jordan is with me, we'll do it together. We've added a little twirl for flare.
    Then, I give Jordan the talk - "My love, this is mommy's candy store. Here is your lunch and your juice." Then, I sit her in the back of the cart and spend lengthy amounts of time inhaling all the toxins. I love it!

    ReplyDelete